Server crash (ugh)

After a couple of days of being stuck at work, family issues, and generally not feeling well, I left alone for a while… and figured out the server simply crashed.


google cloud console says the machine is running, but it is not responding to anything. No ssh, no web, nothing.

Without much choice, I rebooted the machine, opened a terminal, and started to have a look – and the syslog showed that the machine crashed running out of memory.

Jan 19 21:49:41 instance-1 kernel: [3073981.782861] sshd invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x15080c0(GFP_KERNEL_ACCOUNT|__GFP_ZERO), nodemask=(null), order=1, oom_score_adj=0
Jan 19 21:49:41 instance-1 kernel: [3073981.782863] sshd cpuset=/ mems_allowed=0
Jan 19 21:49:41 instance-1 kernel: [3073981.782869] CPU: 0 PID: 22855 Comm: sshd Not tainted 4.15.0-1025-gcp #26-Ubuntu
Jan 19 21:49:41 instance-1 kernel: [3073981.782870] Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 01/01/2011
Jan 19 21:49:41 instance-1 kernel: [3073981.782870] Call Trace:
Jan 19 21:49:41 instance-1 kernel: [3073981.782879] dump_stack+0x8e/0xcb
Jan 19 21:49:41 instance-1 kernel: [3073981.782882] dump_header+0x71/0x285
Jan 19 21:49:41 instance-1 kernel: [3073981.782884] oom_kill_process+0x220/0x440
Jan 19 21:49:41 instance-1 kernel: [3073981.782886] out_of_memory+0x2d1/0x4f0

The whole server was running on a f1-micro instance (the smallest instance on Google Compute) which has a grand total of 0.6GB of DRAM. Running nginx+php+mysql.


My first web server was an Athlon 1.4GHz with 256MB of RAM which I managed to shove it in the computer room back when I was in college. Running Red Hat 9. It was running a couple of webpages, with php and mysql, while running all the code that I needed to run for my term projects… and now 600MB won’t even get me to the point of running an website with near-zero visitors.

(Yeah yeah, I know there are people much older than me that will say that their first server was something with 256MB in hard drives…)

Well, I do appreciate how easy things are now. I launched another server, installed mysql, and then migrated the database from the web server to another separate f1-micro instance. Took around 15 minutes.

If this was year 2001, it probably took me another day to find/buy parts (assuming I have the money to buy something), figure out how to get another IP, assemble all the parts, and then struggle getting the required rpm files.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *